Monday, October 19, 2009

Bittersweet fall to romantic winters


Farmers market season has come to a end, and the flowers were all killed by Sundays freeze. We do have a few beds of spinach, a bed of greens, and swiss chard in our high tunnels still. We plan on having it through winter, but we aren't sure we will be selling it or not.

Gretel has gone back to work and left me here to take care of things, it is alway7s hard when she goes back, I begin to feel more lost, and I find it hard to keep up on my chores and to-do list, but I will adjust after a week or so, and most likely will start back to work soon aswell. It can get kind of boring through the winter, and if I don't go to work then who knows if I will get out of the house at all.

With the full arrival of fall our farm takes on a new identity. With all the fields planted with winter wheat and new fencing up around the orchard, to protect our little fruit trees from deer, it's time to start getting ready for winter. That means sealing gaps around the chicken coop, and around the house, we started filling the porch with firewood, we need to cover the windows with plastic, put more rugs down inside, and add straw around the N.E. side of our house. We are stock up on can and dehydrated produce from the summer. I like to feel almost like the farm turns into a homestead during winter and there is something very romantic about that, wood stove burning real hot, candles, coffee, music and playing chess with Gretel. As much as I hate to see the growing season end, for many reasons, I do welcome winter for a little while. I do get sick of it towards the end of the season, just like I look forward to the end of a blisstering summer. Here in Ohio our summer and winters last a little to long, and spring and fall are always inconsistent, but that's what makes the anticipation so worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment